Monday, November 11, 2013

Blaze of Glory


Autumn. It is by far my most favorite season of the year. The highly anticipated festival of colors is finally on display. A tall, sprawling maple with candy-apple red colored leaves overshadows our driveway and garage. The leaves are like broken pieces of stain glass as they flutter to the ground, creating moving patterns of red and burnt orange on the front of our house. The drive through town is so beautiful and pleasant. Fall themed decorations flood the quaint little storefront windows. A rainbow of warm colored leaves blows across the street, swirling around the lamp posts. A huge tree with blazing topaz leaves hovers over a picnic table, creating a dappled golden glaze on the top of the table and surrounding sidewalk. When a cool wind blows through, it appears as if handfuls of fire are cascading to the ground, while the leaves on the ground stir and swirl up to meet the leaves ablaze midair. The crunching of the leaves under my feet remind me of my childhood when my three younger brothers and I would wrestle in the piles of leaves around our house. My own boys had fun playing in the leaves the other day... embracing the changing of the seasons, one armful at a time.



To me, leaves have the most beautifully dramatic death. They are crisp and green throughout the summer, fresh in scent and full of life. When it comes time for them to die, however, they turn a most magnificent color - it is like a final adieu (perhaps to their own version of the von Trapp's "So Long, Farewell"). They announce to the world - "It is time for me to die." And then they float and fall with a gentle grace, landing in a pile of spectacular color splashed across the ground.

It is this time of year that we grab our cameras and take our family pictures that will be plastered on our Christmas cards. You just can't beat the beauty of this season, that happens the same time, every year. I savor the fiery warmth from the trees and cling to it... knowing that a blanket of white is soon to come.

And just like nature's steady seasons, coming and going in a consistent and predictable pattern... I have seasons of my own. I have my seasons where I am growing, learning new things, thriving in opportunity... my springs. Then there are my seasons where I am reaping a harvest of abundant blessings, blooming friendships, successful moments where life seems bright and full of beauty... my summers.

And then, there are my seasons where I begin to feel the tug. God wants me to change. Something needs to happen in order for me to draw close to Him again. He reminds me directly in Luke 9:23, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." The Greek word for deny in this case is aparneomai, which means "to affirm that one has no connection with a person." As I picture the beautiful crimson and gold leaves pulling away - disconnecting themselves from the trees this time of year and gracefully floating to the ground, I realize that fall is the season in my own life that I dread. It is not natural for a human being to deny themselves. When I sense God calling me to make a change in my life - whether it is walking away from a relationship, changing my attitude towards someone, or the ultimate biggie - laying down an idol, some sort of internal balance is thrown off kilter and whether I like it or not, I am thrust into an intense season of "fall" where I am clinging to the things I'd rather not deny myself from.

But, lucky for me (and you) we serve a God whose mercies are new every morning. Denying ourselves isn't a one time only deal. He instructs us to deny ourselves and take up our crosses DAILY. I find this so comforting. Every day I have a chance to turn to him first, and deny myself. Every day can be a step towards Him, allowing the Refiner to refine me. And when I finally choose to submit to Him, winter comes.

          "Come now, let us settle the matter," says the Lord. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." ~ Isaiah 1:18

And just like that - my sin, idols and everything else that I needlessly cling to - flutter like crimson stained leaves to the ground. Pure, white snow from the heavens falls upon me, cleansing and washing me... my winters. A crystalline blanket covers the ground and the bare trees, encapsulating everything it touches - nothing can escape its touch. And with this cleansing love comes a time of pruning. Dead branches that no longer bear fruit are broken off of the tree, allowing the other branches to grow taller and stronger... when spring comes.

Whenever I think of the cycle of the seasons, I always picture spring as the kick off. Something is born, it grows, it fades, it dies. Spring, summer, fall, winter. I have come to realize that this just can't be possible. In order for ANY life to exist - death must come first. Jesus' blood flowing down the rugged, wooden cross will forever be remembered as we gaze upon our fiery red oak trees in the fall. His blood cleanses us - over and over and over again. As winter comes and settles in around us like a sparkling blanket of diamonds, we are made new. Safe in the perfect love of our Heavenly Father, we are given a second, a third, a fiftieth, a five hundredth chance to start over again. And as He prepares our hearts for His good and perfect will to be lived out through us, He waters us with melting snow, blows a cool spring wind, and allows us to bud. Growing and stretching towards Him, we continue to grow and thrive, blooming and bearing fruit, giving praise to His name. Until another season comes along where He requires a change within us... and His redeeming love is ever present again.

          They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. ~ Isaiah 61:3

What a beautiful picture of God's love for us, displayed season after season, year after year. His blood shed for us, covering our branches, flowing to the ground. Cleansed from our roots to the tips of our branches by His forgiveness and love. Encouraged with warm sun to help us grow. Blessed with abundant life. We are oaks of righteousness, displaying the Lord's glory and splendor, with each passing season.

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, once again, for your words. What a wonderful way to view the seasons. And I loved seeing pictures of the boys! They look so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thank the Lord for His beauty and for your wonderfully descriptive words!

    ReplyDelete